I'm a freelance news and editorial photographer working out of northern Oregon. My work has been published by Reuters, The San Francisco Chronicle, the New Yorker Online, Outside Online, VICE Magazine, Orion Magazine and other outlets. I'm available for general assignment work, and I specialize in stories at the intersection of environmental and social justice issues – stories that examine our relationship with the land and require a photographer comfortable with straying from the beaten path. In the past, I've worked as a magazine writer and reporter, and as chief editor of an upstart weekly newspaper. I bring those skills to my photojournalism.
A selection of my stock photography is available through the agency VWPics.
Please don't hesitate to get a hold of me if you have questions about my work. I welcome inquiries on my rates and availability, and I look forward to talking with new clients.
Awards, fellowships and workshops:
- 2017 Michigan Press Photographers Association Photos of the Year Contest:
- Photographer of the Year - Honorable Mention
- News Picture Story - 2nd Place
- Portrait Series - 2nd Place
- Multimedia feature - 3rd Place
- 2016 Mountain Photography Workshop – Paducah, Kentucky
- 2015 Documentary Photography Fellowship – U.C. Berkeley Human Rights Center
- 2015 U.C. Berkeley Wayne F. Miller Award for Excellence in Photojournalism
- 2014 U.C. Berkeley Dorothea Lange Photography Fellowship
- 2014 U.C. Berkeley Robert Whittington Award for Exceptional Reporting